Sunday, June 28, 2009

Welcome to the world, Snow Pea #7

Good news! While six other Snow Peas are sprouting nicely, there was one Snow Pea that refused to grow. In desperation, I decided to push the pea into the spongy material and lo and behold, a few days later a sprout appeared.

Here's what the peas look like today. They're growing so tall I had to raise the hood one notch already.

In the meantime, something odd is going on with the Aerogarden herbs. The plants are growing fine, but the thyme and the purple basil look like they're "burned" a bit. The light does seem exceedingly bright for such small plants, but I'm going to let them ride for a while and see what happens.

There was another odd situation with the Mesclun. I noticed the leaves started to get pretty thin and some even started browning. When I looked closely in the Aerogarden, I notice the pump stopped pumping! When I lifted the unit oh-so-slightly, the pump started going again. So I surmised that there was a problem with the contacts on the back of the unit (the one that had the corrosion which I tried to clean a few weeks ago). I took a piece of plastic wire and wedged it under the unit, and it seems to be working now.

Within a few hours of doing this, the leaves started to perk up a bit. Although there's still one pod that never grew.
Anyway, the light went off right on cue, so I added more nutrients and filled the water to the top.

No comments: