Monday, August 17, 2009

Aerogarden Snowpeas: Epic Fail!

Well, we gave it the ol' college try, but at the end, the snowpeas gave in. This is what the replacement snowpea pod I got last month looked like on July 28:

As you can see, it was doing okay, but its neighbors were not looking too happy. I wrote to Aerogarden again, and again, the customer service could not have been nicer. She sent me five new replacement pods, and they came within days.

I planted all the new pods on August 4. Alas, here's what they looked like on August 15.

The first replacement pod is all but completely wilted, and none of the new snowpeas came in, except for one which is struggling. The rest look kind of icky and moldy like this:

The customer service rep explained to me that they were discontinuing the snowpeas because of a high failure rate. I'm not sure what it was, maybe the ambient temperature in the room, maybe just less-than-stellar product design and testing on the part of Aerogarden, but it seems that I was destined never to have more snowpeas than the one or two wimpy snowpeas I got.
So, it was a valiant effort and I'm glad I tried it, but at the end of the day it seems that the Aerogarden is still best at what it was originally designed for: herbs. I placed a new custom order for herbs and I'll be planting an all new garden with an all-new set of herbs shortly.

No comments: